Thursday, July 12, 2018

Made a Few Jars of Pickled Banana Peppers

This year I had the foresight to plant my banana peppers on the opposite side of the garden from the jalapenos.  Last year I planted them too close together and all the banana peppers were hot.  Don't get me wrong, I like hot peppers, but there is a time and place for them.  I also like a mild banana pepper that has been pickled in vinegar to eat alongside rice & gravy and meat. 

The pepper plants have been producing and we eat them mainly raw - most of the time right off the plant.

The other day I picked all the big ones off the plant, but there are many more little ones growing with blooms that promise more peppers.


It was time to do a quick batch of pickled banana peppers.  I put a pot on the stove with 3 cups vinegar, 2 cups water, 2 tablespoons kosher salt and 1 tablespoon sugar.  I brought that to a boil and then let it completely cool.


Meanwhile I crushed a garlic clove and put one in the bottom of each of the four jars of peppers that I was pickling.  Then I packed two of the jars with sliced banana peppers.  I packed them in real tight.


For two of the jars, I cut the banana peppers into rings, just to mix things up.  I packed those in tight, too. 


Then I poured the cooled pickling liquid into each of the jars, bringing the liquid all the way up to the top.


Then I placed them in the fridge where I'll let them 'marinate' for a few days before I eat them.


We may even have these jars polished off by the time the next crop is ready to be picked and pickled!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...