Wednesday, May 16, 2018

A Stroll in the Garden in Early May (Part II)

As I walk a little farther in the garden, white blossoms covered with bees catch my eye.  It's the cilantro plant and the heat has made it bolt and go to seed.  I'll let the seeds fall and next year in this location, cilantro will spring up.  For now the bees are enjoying it.


In the side yard garden, the sweet corn is thick.  This variety is called "Gotta Have it" and I hope it lives up to its name.


The corn is tasseled out and that means before long we'll be able to see little ears of corn.


The pollen from the corn tassels falls to the silk above the corn cobs.  Each strand of silk, if fertilized, will create a kernel of corn.  In past years we had ears that weren't fully filled out.  This year I intentionally planted the corn closer together to ensure fertilization takes place.


On the far right of the sweet corn you will find several more varieties of beans.  First black beans.  These look really healthy and they are loaded up with pods.  I'll let them ripen on the plant and pick them when they are dried.

Next to them are Red Kidney Beans.  However, the germination on these wasn't as good as I'd hoped.  Some made it, but I think if we want to make red beans and rice, we'll have to buy he beans.

In the gaps where the red kidneys didn't come up, I planted some Dragon Tongue Beans.  They popped up quickly, bloomed and now had tiny pods.


On the other side of the corn patch is our muscadine vines.  They are trellising on a cattle panel.


You can already spot the tiny grapes on the vine.


Tomorrow there's one more thing to show you - the tomatoes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...