Sunday, October 22, 2017

Shelling Ozark Razorback Peas

A whole lotta rain in August and then virtually none since then dealt a big blow to our southern pea crop this year.  That's a shame, too, because peas and rice is a favorite simple meal that we enjoy with some cornbread as a side dish.  Despite the poor crop, I did walk through the garden rows one afternoon last week and pick the (mostly) dried pea pods off the stalks.  I got a nice-sized basket of peas.


Shelling peas is a mindless pastime while you are watching TV or sitting in the kitchen visiting with family.  In no time I had one bowl of peas all shelled and then realized I misjudged and didn't get a big enough bowl.


I got out another bowl and filled it up, too.  Since these peas were mostly dried, they'll actually make a bigger meal than it looks like once we soak them and cook them, adding some smoked sausage to the pot for some extra flavor.  We have a cool front coming through next week, so a warm plate of peas & rice with cornbread will be satisfying comfort food.  Can't wait.

7 comments:

  1. I grew Ozark Razorback for the first time and had a baggie full of dried peas that I just now cooked. I was not prepared for the taste to be this outstanding.
    As I eat I am becoming more obsessed with them haha. I'm trying to find anything online about them I can and while doing so I came across a strain that is bigger but colored the same and was wondering if you have ever had them? If so, do they taste the same? They are called Red and White Calico Peas. If they taste better than these Ozark Razorback Peas I might not be able to stand it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy, I've not tried to grow Red and White Calico Peas, but I'm curious now and will try them. I still have a bunch of the Ozark Razorback peas that I saved and will plant some of them. I looked to see if I could find the Red and White Calico peas at rareseeds.com, but they didn't have them. I'll try some other places to find them. Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been looking for some of these seeds everywhere and can’t find them. Any suggestions? Baker creek does not have them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is really strange. I looked for them at several places and cannot find them either. I looked through my saved seed inventory and found a container of Ozark Razorback peas that I saved, but they are from the 2012 crop. I'm not sure if the germination will be good on them, but I'm willing to share and send you 25 or 30 of them for free as I'd like to keep the old heirloom seeds going. If you give me your PO Box , I can mail them to you. Just let me know. I'll be happy to help!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi I wonder if you still have ozrack razor back cowpeas seeds for free? I been looking all over and couldn't find them baker creek used to have it and now gone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi I was wondering if you still have ozrack razor cow peas seeds for free? I been looking everywhere and couldn't find them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Christina, I do have some Ozark Razorback cowpeas. How do I get them to you? You can email me @ ksonnier@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...