Thursday, September 21, 2017

Way Better Than Kleenex!

This afternoon I was checking on our new little bull in the pasture.  He's growing and is very healthy. He runs around the pasture with his tail up in the air.  Probably his favorite thing to do is to wait until I feed the chickens and then he goes running through the flock, disrupting their meal time.  He's a little bully for sure.


As I was taking the picture (with Rosie looking on in the top leftt part of the photo), the little fellow did something that we've all seen cows do - he sticks his tongue up his nose.  Apparently, this skill is one that cows are adept at doing.  I've tried to stretch my tongue into my nose to see if that is a trick I could do, but my tongue is not long enough to get the job done.


Believe it or not, there is a scientific reason that cows do this!  If you click on the arrow below to watch a two minute video, you can learn the answer to this mystery!:


Here is the link if you want to watch it again: Explaining Science: Why Do Cows Stick Their Tongues In Their Nose

Summary version:  Cows can't hold tissue in their hooves and haven't learned how to blow their noses anyway.  When they have a runny nose, they do the next best thing: They lick the snot and swallow it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...