Sunday, April 30, 2017

My KInd Of Hip Hop

Saturday afternoon I walked across the backyard toward the sweet corn patch.  I am a little concerned about it as it is yellow-looking and isn't growing as it should.  I think it needs some chicken litter to get it moving.  As I was walking to the corn patch, something caught my eye.  Something brown ran past me.  I turned to look and thought I caught sight of a rat running into a big pile of sticks that we had collected from a recent storm.

I'm not a fan of rats.  I kill them on sight.  I walked over to the woodpile with the intention of trying my best to kill the rat.  However, as I looked down into the pile, I pulled this little critter out:



That's not a rat!  It was a young, female bunny rabbit.  I picked her up and brought her inside.  I could feel her heart beating at a rapid pace inside her chest.  The poor little thing was scared.  I gave her to Benjamin to pet for a while.


My first instinct was to go get a cardboard box and try to raise it, but we've learned with other rabbits, squirrels, wood ducks, and other critters, that wild animals are best left in the wild.  I told Benjamin that in the woods just to the south of the hen house, I had seen two adult rabbits the week before in the tall grass.  I'd bet anything that they were this little rabbit's family.


Benjamin set her down amidst a dense canopy of grass and weeds and underbrush. She blended in nicely and you could hardly see her.



She hippity hopped into the woods.  Benjamin tried to follow her and saw one of the adult rabbits I was telling him about.  I'm sure it was the bunny's mom or dad.  We were happy to have reunited the family and saved the little bunny rabbit's life.  Big Boy, our great Pyrenees dog would have eaten the little rabbit as an appetizer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...