Monday, March 13, 2017

Building The New Chicken Tractor (Part 1)

In This Post I talked about the dilapidated condition of our chicken tractors and my quest to build a new one.  In the post I linked above, I explained three things that I was looking for in a new chicken tractor design.  I scoured the Internet for a design that I could build upon, making a few changes.  I found exactly what I was looking for HERE. That unique design met my criteria of being economical to build, durable, and lighter. We'll build one as a prototype and make any changes necessary to the second tractor.

I did alter the plans a bit to make it taller, so that I could walk inside it without bending over.  I added more hoops and a few other amenities that I'll discuss in this post and maybe one or two more posts to follow.  I discussed my project with a real good friend at church.  He is a master craftsman who I admire greatly.  His attention to detail and ingenuity in figuring out different ways to do things never cease to amaze me.  When he asked if he could help with the chicken tractor project, I was ecstatic.

On what might have been the most perfect day of the year, we assembled our building materials:

  • Three 12 foot treated 2x4s
  • One 12 foot 1x4
  • Five joints of 1/2 inch schedule 40 pvc pipe
  • Screws
  • Cordless drill
  • 7/8" spade bit
  • Two 50 foot rolls of welded wire fencing, 3 ft high
  • Cable ties


Since we determined that we wanted five hoops for stability, we marked out and drilled five holes, evenly spaced, in two of the three 2x4s, drilling perhaps an inch and a half deep.  For the third 2x4, we cut it in half.  The length of our chicken tractor will be roughly 12 feet long, while the width will be approximately 6 feet wide.

Then with heavy screws with a 'star' bit, we formed up the base of the tractor, putting two screws in each side.  By screwing the 6 foot 2x4's on the inside of the 12 foot 2x4's, we gained an extra foot and a half of interior area.  I was unaware of this, but now that I think about it, it makes perfect sense.


Once the base was together, we simply began inserting the pvc pipe just to ensure it fit properly. Yes!  Things are taking shape.  We continued putting all five joints of pipe in the base.


Prior to doing this we put the 1x4 alongside the 12 foot 2x4s and marked where the holes were drilled on the 1x4 and drilled corresponding holes.  We took off one side of the pvc and threaded the pipe through the 1x4 and back into the base on the other side as you can see below.  The 1x4 gave the chicken tractor strength and stability AND will allow us to hang a waterer, and heat lamps from the hoops.  The "boss lady" came and inspected our progress and was pleased.


We added some bracing to each side with pvc pipe screwed into the skeleton of the tractor at 45 degree angles.  We also used 10 smaller screws to anchor the pvc into each of the 10 holes in the 2x4's so that they wouldn't pull out.

This is turning out mighty fine.  It was time for a break and we decided to start up again tomorrow, so I think that is what we'll do now.  Please join us tomorrow for Building The New Chicken Tractor (Part II).  I can't wait to show you how it turned out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...