Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Planting Onions 2016

Onions.  I love onions.  If I could only grow them.  I had a failed experiment back a couple of years ago when I planted some Red Creole onion seeds.  They sprouted, grew about two inches tall, and then promptly died.  Then I discovered Dixondale Farms.  They are located in Carrizzo Springs, Texas and have been growing onions since 1913.  I think they probably have it all figured out.

Their website that I linked above has instructional videos about how to select the correct variety of onion for your location.  Since I live in the Deep South, I learned that I need to grow Short-Day Onions and they mature in 110 days.  Now, considering my previous onion-growing experience, rather than just jumping in the deep end of the pool, I'm gonna stick my big toe in and swirl it around first.  What I mean by that is I'm going to order the Short Day Sampler.  The Short Day Sampler contains about 60 onion plants, including a mixture of the 1015 Texas Sweet Onion, Texas Early White Onion, and the Red Creole Onion.  The cost was reasonable at $11.45.

I placed my order back in December and they were delivered in January.  I placed them in the refrigerator and waited (and waited and waited) for dry weather to arrive for planting.  Finally!  But first I had to prepare the soil.  Things get a little overgrown over the winter.

The (Future) Onion Patch
I pulled up the garlic chives that multiplied like rabbits and replanted them in another location.  Then I removed the trellis that our cucumbers grew on last year.  I pulled the weeds out, feeding them to the cows, goat, and chicken and then used a shovel to turn over the soil.

Working up the soil
I used a string to mark off a 24" wide row, digging a trench and throwing the soil from the trench on top of the row.  That soil was last year's compost - rich and full of organic matter.  Russ came behind me and worked up the soil in the row with a hoe until it was crumbly.  Then I used a bowhead steel rake to level out the row.

I sent Russ on an expedition to the hen house.  His mission was to return with a 5 gallon bucket on composted chicken manure from beneath their roosts.  While he was gone, I dug a four inch deep trench right smack dab in the middle of the row.

Row pulled, soil worked, trench dug (making progress!)
When he returned, he sprinkled the chicken manure into the trench.  This will be the fertilizer that the onions will feed on a little later.

Homegrown fertilizer
Then we covered the trench with dirt and used the steel rake to smooth out the row. It made for a real nice seed bed.

Onion Planting Time!
I retrieved the Short Day Sampler from the fridge and laid them out on the packing sheet.  If you look closely you can see the yellow onions, the white and the red ones. These are young onion plants that haven't bulbed yet.  In other words, they have a big head start over my failed onion crop from two years ago that I started from seed.

Short Day Sampler
Russ and I used the handle of a garden tool to make a hole and then planted the onion plants one inch deep, 

Planting the onions
We planted the onions on either side of the central trench that has the chicken manure fertilizer in it, ensuring that we were 6 inches away from the fertilizer trench.  We also planted them 4-6 inches apart from each other.  As the onions grow and their roots extend, they'll tap into the fertilizer and grow big, fat onions.

Our work here is done...
Then, we simply watered them in.

Grow, little onions, grow!
We'll keep them watered and weeded.  Actually, I'm going to mulch around them with hay as they get established to crowd out any weed competition.  We planted 42 onion plants.  If we're successful, I'll order a whole bunch more next year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...