Monday, January 11, 2016

Another Delicious Use for our Bountiful Supply of Satsumas

With a huge supply of citrus, we are juicing a lot and freezing for later use.  The mild winter means that we still have lots of fresh lettuce in the garden and that prompted me to look around for a recipe for a Satsuma Vinaigrette and I found a recipe HERE.  It was very easy to make and all with ingredients that we had on hand (I did substitute apple cider vinegar for red wine vinegar and subbed olive oil for canola oil):

  • 4 Satsumas (juiced, yielding roughly 1/2 cup juice)
  • 2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground pepper
  • 1/4 cup olive oil

Here are all the ingredients laid out and ready to put together lickety split:

Ingredients for making Satsuma Vinaigrette
Satsumas are very juicy.  Because they are so easy to peel, we normally peel them and eat them.  They are especially tasty if they are chilled.  I think this was the first time I ever juiced a satsuma.

The not-so-arduous task of juicing a satsuma
Once I juiced all four satsumas, I poured the bright orange nectar into the salad dressing container.

Satsuma Juice
To that, I added 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar,:


A half teaspoon sugar:


Some fresh ground pepper:


Some salt:


And a quarter cup of olive oil:


I ran out to the garden and picked some Black Seeded Simpson Lettuce and (not shown) some Red Romaine that is growing on the row next to the bok choy:


I washed the lettuce up to remove dust, leaves and critters that sometimes stow away on the fresh-picked lettuce.  Then I shook up the vinaigrette to mix up all the flavors.  I served up a nice plate of fresh salad and drizzled some of the vinaigrette on top.


The vinaigrette was both sweet and tangy with a nice citrus flavor.  It is one of those dressings that you want to have a piece of bread to sop up the vinaigrette that remains on your plate after the salad is gone.  This recipe is a keeper!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...