Thursday, November 19, 2015

A Boy and His Calf

Clarabelle has proven to be a stubborn little Jersey heifer. Halter breaking her was a real chore.  After tying her to an immovable object and letting her pull against it until she was either tired of the struggle or realized that 'resistance was futile,' she finally saw things my way.  It took longer than I thought, though, and longer than other calves I've broken.  I spent several weeks leading her (translation: pulling her) until she figured out that life was much simpler to walk along with me when tension was applied.

Some days I would be real encouraged and she would walk along with me like a champ - other days, she would regress and pull against me until I was sweaty and exhausted.  At long last the task was done and little Clarabelle became a compliant and obedient little heifer, walking along at a leisurely pace, enjoying her surroundings and making the afternoons more pleasurable for me too.
Clarabelle and Benjamin
This is the time of year when the days are getting shorter.  The sun seems to be hitting the landscape at a different angle than the harsh beat-down it assaulted the land with during the long, hot summer. Tricia had Benjamin put the halter on Clarabelle on the days that he doesn't have track practice and he walked her around the perimeter of our little homestead.

Benjamin put on a cowboy hat for the task and he and his heifer went walking.  I cringe looking at him barefooted, because even though she's a small heifer, her hooves are sharp.  If she were to step on Benjamin's foot, it would be very painful and he would not be happy.

Barefootin'
This photo was taken a couple of weeks ago and it reminded me that I need to start the same process of breaking little Luna - our most recent calf born to Daisy.  It is best (much, much easier) to halter break them to lead when they are small.  Also on the to-do list for Luna is to de-horn her.  The dehorning process with Clarabelle was the smoothest and best job we've ever done.  Her head is all healed up and horn-free.

When I was Benjamin's age, I showed sheep.  Every afternoon I would walk them. They became very tame and gentle.  Some would even follow me around.  As the livestock shows approached, I would walk them for longer distances and time so that they would be at their very best come showtime.  I became very attached to those animals and each year it was hard for me to let them go. Livestock shows taught me a lot about responsibility, work-ethic, and growing up and I treasure the years I was involved in 4-H and FFA.  I hope my kids feel the same way and are able to learn valuable life lessons like I did in their involvement with livestock.
Walking around the pumpkin vines with Clarabelle
With Clarabelle halter-broken and the process about to begin to break Luna, I was thinking that just around the time that Luna is done, Amy (our third Jersey heifer that is 2 1/2 years old) will have her first calf.  She is due right around December 31st.  So far this year our two girls (Daisy and Rosie) have given us two heifers. Both of those heifers have A2/A2 genetics.  We're hoping for 3 out of 3! We'll know in a month and a half.

Training a calf is a lot of work, but once the work is done, the dividends pay for a lifetime as the cow will respect the lead rope and will follow you wherever you lead her.  There's a good life lesson in there somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...