Friday, October 2, 2015

Racing the Sun To Get Lettuce Planting Done

I consult the LSU AgCenter Vegetable Planting Guide to let me know when to plant items in our growing zone, how deep to plant the seeds and how far apart to space them.  As I was perusing the Planting Guide, I realized that September 30th is the last date recommended for planting lettuce in our area.  So when I got home from work on September 29th, I got my rear end in gear.  I had a 15 foot long row all worked up and weed-free.  Its 30 inch width was perfect in allowing me to plant seeds in three furrows I made across the top of the row in which to place the tiny lettuce seeds.  You can see the furrows below if you look closely.

Furrows in the Lettuce Row - ready for planting
Let's talk a little bit about lettuce.  I like salads.  I like to add different toppings and vegetables and a nice vinaigrette dressing on top.  Let's be honest, though.  Salads aren't filling.  Will they help you to survive in very difficult times when food is short?  Hmmm, probably not.  In survival cases, your garden better contain root crops like potatoes, carrots and the like that contain more calories and nutrition than lettuce.  But for non-apocalyptic times, a fresh garden salad is a nice complement to a meal.

I have five different varieties of lettuce that I'm planting on our lettuce row:
  • Red Romaine
  • Black Seeded Simpson,
  • Red Wing Lettuce Mix
  • Oak Leaf Lettuce, and
  • Rocky Top Mix
I've alternated plantings into five separate blocks, separated on the row and alternating red and green coloring of the lettuce.  It ought to be pretty once it is up and growing.  I like to plant things that not only taste good, but that look good while growing.
Five different types of Lettuce
I learned a couple things last year about lettuce that I'll put into practice again this fall/winter.  In previous years, I would pull up the lettuce by the roots, harvesting the entire plant in order to make a salad.  I realized that this was very wasteful. Rather than do that, I started just pinching off leaves I wanted to eat.  This allowed me to have a nice mix of different types of lettuce in my salad and the lettuce will continue growing and putting on more leaves that we could eat.  In short, by doing this, your lettuce will yield more per square foot.  Also, by leaving the roots in the ground at the end of the growing season, the soil is loosened and  broken up by the growing action of the roots.

Another thing I did was I covered the lettuce with a tarpaulin overnight on nights that we had freezes, weighing down the tarp with landscape timbers to keep them from blowing off of the lettuce. By doing this we were able to enjoy fresh salads even deep into the winter, without experiencing frost damage or plant death.  As the temperatures rose above freezing during the day, I would pull the tarp off the lettuce and let it continue growing in the sunshine.

Lettuce seed is very small and lightweight.  You only need to cover it with 1/8 inch soil.  I first tried the Red Romaine Lettuce variety last year, when it came as a free item with my seed order from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds.  This is what the Red Romaine lettuce seed looks like:

Red Romaine Lettuce seed
Black Seeded Simpson Lettuce is a variety that I've been growing for years.  It produces a nice bunch of lettuce and its bright green growth contrasts with the dark green leaves of surrounding broccoli and cauliflower.  I have better success growing lettuce in the fall and winter than I do in the spring.  It just gets hot too fast here in the south.  As a result, the lettuces bolts to seed and gets bitter-tasting very quickly. I've found that a fall planting alleviates that problem.  You can see why this lettuce is called, "Black Seeded" Simpson as you compare the picture above to the picture below.

Black Seeded Simpson Lettuce
Red Wing Lettuce Blend is a new variety I'm trying this year.  Since it is a mix, you'll note the seeds are different.

Red Wing Lettuce Mix
This is a photo of a harvested bunch of leaves from the Red Wing Lettuce mix that I found online. That will make a nice looking salad, don't you think?

Image Credit
If you look at the first photo in this blog post, you will see that the sun was higher in the sky.  As I seeded the lettuce, I became aware that the sun was dipping in the western horizon at a quick pace, and that encouraged me to hurry it up with the task at hand.  I got all the lettuce planted, covered and then lightly watered the row, simulating a rainfall.
Lettuce Row Planted
Once the lettuce is up, I'll figure out a more aesthetic way of marking the different varieties of lettuce.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...