Thursday, July 9, 2015

Trying a New Crop Again after 15 Years

About 15 years ago in one of those entrepreneurial dreams that I get from time to time, I imagined a huge money-maker - a pumpkin patch.  Why, people would come from far and wide, browse through our wide selection of huge pumpkins and fill their trunks with the big, fat, orange pumpkins that we grew.  Of course they would pay a handsome price for these lovely pumpkins and our cigar box would quickly fill with dead presidents.

Dad and I used a levee plow to pull up a long hill in a strategically placed area. Right south of the family cemetery whose live oak tree's sprawling limbs shaded graves dating back to the 1800's, including Civil War soldiers, was the spot.  It was a perfect spot for pumpkins.  You see, long rows of round bales were stacked there the previous year.  The hay was long since gone, but the very bottom of where the round bales were was a prime planting medium.  The hay rotted, leaving dark, moist composted hay and soil, boiling with earthworms.

We deposited our pumpkin seeds in the row and timely rains and great soil grew beautiful pumpkin plants, lush and green, promising a bumper crop of pumpkins later and prolific pumpkin profits. Except...

Except the cows had other intentions for our pumpkins.  They got into our pumpkin patch and devoured every plant.  Discouraged? You bet, but C'est la Vie.  You keep going and you try again later.  This time 15 years later.  In order to have pumpkins for late October, you need to plant around the Fourth of July, so I got busy.  Using a shovel, I turned over the soil on the row where our sweet corn grew just weeks ago. There were worms aplenty - a good sign.

The pumpkin row
I sprinkled a #10 can of organic fertilizer made from composted chicken litter on the row and worked it in with my hoe.  It packs a pungent aroma, but it does the trick.  The plants seem to love it and they jump out of the ground.

Organic fertilizer
I'm planting three varieties this year.  I always grow strange stuff and this year is no different.  I'm planting Jarrahdale Pumpkin.  It comes from Australia and is a beautiful slate or blue-grey color. Its flesh is orange, soft, with melon-like aroma and a very sweet taste.  I can't wait for this one.

Jarrahdale Pumpkin
The next variety I'm trying is the New England Sugar Pie.  Doesn't that sound good?  Like the Jarrahdale, it is an heirloom, but as the name suggests, it is from New England and is noted for its fine, sweet flavor, with creamy, stringless flesh that is perfect for pies.  Mmmmm...  Pumpkin pie!

New England Sugar Pie Pumpkins
Finally, the Jack Be Little pumpkins.  You've seen these.  They fit in the palm of your hand and most people use them for decorating or as a table centerpiece. However, you can eat them, too.  I saw a recipe for Candied Jack Be Littles that looks good.

Jack Be Little Pumpkins
So after my soil was ready, I poured the Jarrahdale pumpkin seeds in my hand. They were fat and thicker than normal pumpkin seeds.  Also, they had a slight bluish-gray tinge to them.

Seeds of Change
The just-opened soil, like a welcome mat, accepted the seed.  Even an earthworm came to extend greetings to this visitor to his world.  I quickly covered the seeds up.

The Sower went out to Sow
The New England Sugar Pie Pumpkin Seeds just looked like normal pumpkin seeds. I like eating roasted pumpkin seeds and I made a mental note to not only save seeds from our crop this year for later use, but to roast some.  But there I go, counting my chickens before they hatch.

Pumpkin Seeds
Which reminds me - I need to double check the gates to ensure that our cows don't meander over to our pumpkin patch.  Ha!  We'll keep you posted on our successes and failures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...