Friday, June 5, 2015

Planting Shade Trees

"A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they know they shall never sit in." - Greek Proverb

That is a thought provoking quote.  A sentiment like that describes people who look past selfishness and look toward doing things for those who will come after them. That is a pretty noble thing to do, especially knowing that the recipients will not be able to thank their benefactors as they'll be long gone.

I remember in college we had a Psychology course that taught us about Maslow's Hierarchy of Human Needs.  You probably recall the pyramid.  The needs started with physiological needs on the bottom that must be met for human survival and progresses upward through Safety, Love & Belonging, Esteem, and finally Self-Actualization.

In Wikipedia, I found the following quote pertinent to our discussion on planting shade trees:
In his later years, Maslow explored a further dimension of needs, while criticizing his own vision on self-actualization. The self only finds its actualization in giving itself to some higher goal outside oneself, in altruism and spirituality.

We have some enormous live oak trees in our yard.  They add value to the land and their presence on the property was the driving factor in our decision to purchase our little homestead.  They provide shade and comfort on hot summer days. There's no telling how old they are.



They provide beauty and their sprawling branches provide shelter and homes for numerous birds and squirrels who, along with us, also enjoy the benefits of someone who, well over a hundred years ago, decided it would be a good idea to grab a shovel, dig a hole, and put an acorn in the ground in rural Jefferson Davis Parish.


The shade I'm thinking about today, however, is not necessarily literal.  Let me explain it a little bit. Driving in to work each morning on a long 50 minute commute, I generally listen to the radio.  It's pretty much all talk radio, news, sports, and Christian talk.  Some time back, I tuned in to James Dobson's radio program and he had a gentleman on named Dennis Swanberg.  You can read more about him here.

He got my attention because he said he lives in Monroe, Louisiana.  As I listened more, he impersonated Billy Graham, Jimmy Stewart, John Wayne, Ronald Reagan, and many more.  I was laughing out loud.  That dude is a character!  Then he got real serious and started talking about building a legacy.  He said:

"None of us are self made.  We're all sitting under 'shade trees' that our forefathers, families, and friends planted.  Now, it's your turn to leave a meaningful legacy by planting your own shade trees for others to sit under." - Dennis Swanberg

That really got to me.  Especially when thinking about parenting - the hardest job in the world. It made me think of all the mistakes I've made as a Dad.  Times I just dropped the ball.  Realize it or not, we're planting acorns right now in the words we say, the actions we undertake, the character we portray.  Just the way we live out our lives are seeds.  It was a good reminder to me that I should do more things to encourage others and live in such a way that I bring glory to God so that I can make a generational impact - even one for eternity!  First in our family and then to those in our sphere of influence.

Standing in the Shade
I have been so blessed to have been the recipient of other people's shade trees. Numerous people have given of their time, money, and wisdom and made an impact on my life.  I'm sure if you think about it, you have experienced the same. My prayer is that I can do the same for others and be to others what very wise people have been to me.

For example, Benjamin has developed a keen interest in collecting coins.  He's a budding numismatist.  Several people have given him coins to 'seed' his collection. One particular gentleman that lives in South Texas that Benjamin's aunt introduced him to mailed him some coins that had considerable value.  We communicated to the gentleman that we felt reluctant to accept them.  Here's what he said:

"As I get older (he's in his 80's), I realize that I don't possess anything.  I'm merely a custodian and temporary holder of items that I'm constantly looking for someone else to give them to."

We should all aspire to be modern day 'Johnny Appleseed's' planting seeds wherever we go so that mighty oaks spring up, casting their shade and repeating the process.

Psalm 1:3  (NASB)

He will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water,
Which yields its fruit in its season
And its leaf does not wither;
And in whatever he does, he prospers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...