Thursday, May 28, 2015

Never Buy Toothpaste Again

At our house when it comes to brushing our teeth, we use Tom's of Maine toothpaste or the little samples of toothpaste that they give you when you go to the dentist.  Tom's toothpaste is great.  It is a natural product that is fluoride-free and I like the peppermint flavor, but it is a little pricey!  Today both tubes of toothpaste in my bathroom looked like this:

No more toothpaste in the tube
That's a sad sight isn't it?  Obviously I could drive down to the drug store and purchase another tube, but it gave me a good opportunity to try something that I've been meaning to try - making my own toothpaste.  With a quick search on the Google, I had a few 'recipes' at my disposal.  I settled for this one I found on the Granny Miller Blog.  Granny Miller has a very interesting blog with lots of useful information.

Her blog contained simple instructions on how to make your own toothpaste (or tooth powder).  All you need is a jar, some baking soda, and some peppermint oil.

Ingredients for making toothpaste (or more appropriately, tooth powder)
I simply poured half of the box of baking soda into the jar and dropped about a dozen or so drops of peppermint oil into the jar and mixed it all up with a fork.  You can smell the cool, minty tooth powder ready to scrub your teeth super clean!

Tom's of Maine Kyle's of Louisiana
Here's what you do when you brush your teeth: Keep a bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide in the bathroom. When you're ready to brush your teeth, take a swig of hydrogen peroxide and swish around in your mouth.  Then pour a little on your toothbrush to wet it.  Dip your wet toothbrush into the jar of tooth powder.  Your homemade tooth powder will stick to the moistened toothbrush.  Then brush your teeth as you normally would.

The bubbling action of the peroxide, coupled with the scrubbing action of the baking soda and the minty freshness of the peppermint oil will help keep your teeth white and clean at a mere fraction of the cost of 'store-bought' tooth paste.  Tricia has been doing this for a couple of years and still has all her teeth!!  (Ha Ha!)  So I'm all in now.  I'll never buy toothpaste again!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...