Saturday, May 24, 2014

Harvesting Italian Roma Beans

Italian Roma beans are by far my favorite fresh green beans to eat.  They are flat in shape, but FULL in flavor!  After the goats got into the garden the other day and feasted, I initially was concerned about the beans were finished, but I am so happy to announce that they've made a recovery.  Of course the goats have put a pretty good dent in the yield, but I'm pleased that they were kind enough to leave some for us.  It didn't look favorable at first, but once I pulled the leaves back to see what was behind the canopy...

Behind the Leaves
I saw a nice crop of Italian Roma Beans!  The goats didn't eat them all and after I watered them real good, they really perked back up and recovered.

Italian Green Beans
An zoom in shot shows you just how flat these green beans are!


These beans are a bush type bean that we've planted for the past few years and if I was going to recommend one bush type green bean to grow, this would be the type. We also grow Contender green beans and Dragon Tongue beans, but these are the best in terms of yield, ease to grow and most of all, taste.  These beans are delicious.

Blooms mean more beans are on the way...
So bent over and straddling a 30 foot row, it didn't take long for me to fill up a colander with some nice beans.


We'll take these in and wash them up.  The neat thing about Italian Roma II Beans is that they are stringless. Some beans require you to string them, but these have no strings.  You can cook them whole or you can snap them.


Tomorrow I'll show you something else that we harvested and then paired with these beans for perhaps the most perfect side dish ever imagined.  Tune back in tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...