Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Sunset

Do you ever take the time to watch the sunset?  Sometimes life moves so fast and we're always so busy.  In the late afternoon, it is nice to enjoy the light show that God puts on every afternoon.  The picture below was taken many years ago of me by my bride.  We were living in Houston at the time and decided to make a spontaneous trip to Austin, Texas to watch the sunset over Lake Travis at a restaurant called Oasis Cantina. They advertise the time of the sunset and when it sets, they ring a bell and make a big deal of it.  Here is yours truly enjoying the sunset there many years ago - around 25 to be exact.


Fast forward a couple of decades or so and I'm still enjoying the peacefulness and beauty of a sunset. After a busy day and rushing here and there, it is nice to just sit back and watch the show.
Daisy is oblivious to the sunset
I read a quote the other day that said,

"Don't whine about how good things used to be.  Enjoy the Now.  Because the Now is gonna be how things used to be in the future."

Daisy lives in the NOW
That's some pretty good perspective right there.  This particular afternoon was stellar. God was painting a great picture on the western horizon, there was a slight cool breeze blowing and there were no sounds apart from the sound of grass being pulled from the ground by some hungry milk cows, my belly was full.  Life is good. One must make sure to enjoy it.


We live lives of relative ease and we take things for granted.  In certain parts of the world today, people will put much time and effort into getting water for their family, going down to a stream or walking to a well and hand pumping a bucket full that they'll then carry back to their home.  We simply turn a faucet on and the water is there. We don't even think about it.  Our ease has given us extra time on our hands. Unfortunately, we often use that time to complain rather than being grateful.

I have to watch myself in this regard as I'm prone to focus on things I don't have rather than being thankful for the things I do have.  I don't have to think about it long to realize that I'm blessed beyond measure.

Psalm 113:3

New American Standard Bible (NASB)
From the rising of the sun to its setting
The name of the Lord is to be praised.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...