Monday, March 3, 2014

Harvesting Berlicum Carrots

Saturday afternoon the weather was partly cloudy and balmy with temperatures in the mid-seventies.  Colder weather was on the way so I figured it was a perfect day to harvest the rest of the carrots.  In all I planted three 30 foot rows each of Cosmic Purple Carrots, Atomic Red Carrots and Berlicum Carrots.  I almost forgot about the 10 foot row of Parisienne Carrots I planted.  All have been harvested except for the Berlicum carrots.

Berlicum carrots are a variety named after the town in the Netherlands from which they originated.  They are a little different from traditional varieties in that most of them don't grow to a point.  They are cylindrical and stump-rooted.  Most are pretty plump.  I have them planted on rows since the southern-most part of our garden is low.  I don't want them rotting in the ground.  This planning helped me, because I was standing in mud to harvest them, but they were high and dry, for the most part.

Pile 'o Carrots
Most of the carrots are between 4 and 5 inches long, although there were some on either end of the spectrum and really nice I thought.  While harvesting, I pulled all the winter grass growing along the carrot row and threw over the fence to the cows. They ate all of it and then the chickens came through and cleaned up any scraps.

A stack of carrots next to my 4 inch Leatherman for perspective
I filled up a five gallon bucket and then part of another one with carrots and then carried them to the water hose where the boys and I cleaned them up, saving the good topsoil/water mixture to pour back in the garden.

Ready to wash them off
We were cleaning them up and Benjamin said, "Look Dad, this carrot looks like a shrimp."  I thought he meant that it was small.  When I looked at it, though, he was speaking literally.  The carrot did look like a shrimp (the crustacean)!!
The Shrimp Carrot
When we finished up the cleaning, we had a bunch of nice carrots.  Here are some really nice Berlicum Carrots.  They are good for you and delicious, too!

2014 Berlicum Carrots
So the carrot crop is done and the crop was a success.  We also harvested all the Brussels Sprouts this weekend and cooked them.  They were disappointing.  The majority of them didn't make the little heads like baby cabbages.  They all opened up instead of making heads.  I'll need to research to see what caused this and how to prevent it next year.  That's the way it goes sometimes...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...