Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Poetry for a Simple Man

My wife and my daughter are Jane Austen fans and both enjoy reading her books and watching movie adaptations of those books.  You're familiar with them, I'm sure, movies like Pride and Prejudice, Emma, and Sense and Sensibility.  This weekend Tricia and Laura were watching the DVD Sense and Sensibility and I happened to be in the room and I tuned in for a bit with them.

As I watched the movie, a fellow named Willoughby was busy courting a young lady named Marianne.  He had pulled out the big guns and was reading her Shakespeare's Sonnet 116.  This sonnet "spoke" to them both and the words were very "flowery" as you might imagine.  They recited it from memory and it appeared to touch their emotions and ignite romantic flames between the two of them.  Spoiler alert in case you haven't seen it:  Things didn't work out for Willoughby and Marianne, I'm sorry to say.

Speaking of romantic flames, lemme tell you about this guy...
Now, I have read Shakespeare back in the day and I can certainly be moved by the spoken or written word.  That being said, I'm a very simple guy.  The poetry that really speaks to me are the lyrics in some country music songs.  I think I identify with them because they sing of the joys and pains, the victories and struggles of an average country guy.  They aren't pretentious and they sometimes sing about old fashioned virtues, faith and family.  That poetry resonates with me as it reinforces the values that I was raised with. 
Which direction should I go?
I understand all too well that it takes money to pay the bills.  I see a society around me, though, chasing the dollar in order to buy houses, cars, clothes, stuff, etc.  It seems that the everyone is a runner in the rat race of life seeking the 'security,' status, happiness, power and influence that money is supposed to provide, but rarely, if ever, does.  It is hard not to get caught up in that stuff.  But we've got to keep focused on what is real.  I want to be satisfied with the simple pleasures of life, many of which don't have a price tag.

Take for example the song below.  The only thing I take issue with is the writer of the song attributes it (partly) to luck.  I don't believe in luck.  I believe in blessing by the Almighty.  This song is a favorite of mine - an anthem of the common man - a man who is real, a man who realizes contentment in simplicity, and a man who knows what true blessings are and where those blessings come from.  He's a man who is content in his station in life.  Take a listen by clicking on the link:  Lucky Man by Montgomery Gentry  (At least read the lyrics)

I have days where I hate my job,
This little town and the whole world too
And last Sunday when the Bengals lost
Lord it put me in a bad mood

I have moments when I curse the rain
Then complain when the suns too hot
I look around at what everyone has
And I forget about all I've got

[chorus]
But I know I'm a lucky man
Gods given me a pretty fair hand
Got a house and piece of land
A few dollars in a coffee can
My old trucks still runnin' good
My tickers tickin like they say it should
I've got supper in the oven
A good woman's lovin'
And one more day to be my little kids dad 
 
Lord knows I'm a lucky man

Got some friends that would be here fast
I could call em any time of day
Got a brother who's got my back
Got a momma who I swears a saint
Got a brand new rod and reel
Got a full week off this year
Dad had a close call last spring
It's a miracle he's still here

[chorus]

My old trucks still runnin' good
My tickers tickin' like they say it should
I got supper in the oven
A good woman's lovin'
And even my bad days ain't that bad
Yeah I'm a lucky man

I'm a lucky, lucky man

The simple blessings of a nice sunset while the animals peacefully graze and a nice breeze blows...
"I've got supper in the oven, a good woman's lovin', and one more day to be my little kid's Dad, Lord knows I'm a lucky man."
Benjamin fishing at Camp Edgewood Cub Scout Camp on a foggy morning
I'm a lucky, no, a blessed man indeed!










No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...