Thursday, September 20, 2012

Random Ramblings

Hey, Fall is in the air!  This morning we woke up to temperatures hovering around 60 degrees, a gentle breeze blowing and no humidity.  Daisy and Rosie are frisky with this weather and about two thousand pounds worth of milk cows running at you in the dark is more than enough to wake you up.

Yesterday afternoon after doing chores I got Benjamin mowing the yard.  This is one of his jobs.  I think it is a good idea for kids to have responsibilities around the home that they have to do.  Looking back on my childhood, I had daily chores and weekly chores.  Every day I had to make my bed.  Now to be perfectly honest with you, this is a habit that I abandoned, I think, my very first day in college and I've never looked back!  I also had to (gasp) burn the trash.  Can you imagine?  We lived in the country and we had a burning barrel in the back yard.  Everyday I would gather all the trash in the house and go burn it.  I can still remember the smell.  If you did that today, you would undoubtedly have the EPA and four or five other government agencies on you like white on rice.  I took a picture of Benjamin, AKA "the Lawn Ranger" in action.

The Lawn Ranger

One of his other jobs is to make sure that the cows have enough water.  For the troughs by the house, we can pretty much keep those filled with rain water, but for Magnolia and Stryker's water, he has to fill it by hose.  You don't want to touch the poly-rope as it is an electric fence that will shock you and make you holler.

The Waterboy
For the longest time, Tricia wanted roses.  I don't know how to grow roses.  In fact, I only like to plant and take care of things that you can eat - call me crazy.  Last Spring, however, we purchased 3 rose bushes from the local nursery in town, a pink one, and yellow one and a white one.  They have appreciated the recent rains and are rewarding us with nice blooms.  Unfortunately, I couldn't get a picture of the white rose.




This Bud's for you!
While we're talking about flowers, here is a picture of my two pretty flowers in Laura Lee's dorm room.  Although the dormitory was built in the 1940's, they have recently renovated them and they are really nice - a lot nicer than the spartan dorms that I lived in. 

They are my Sunshine!

In talking about Laura's dorm, it reminded me of some interesting, to me at least, history.  I noticed on the cornerstone of her dorm, that it was built during the administration of Governor Jimmie Davis.  He died in 2000 at the ripe old age of 101.  He was a sharecropper's son and they were so poor, he didn't have a bed to sleep in until he was 9 years old!  The late Governor Davis was well known for his singing and was a nationally popular gospel and country music singer.  In fact, he is a member of the Country Music Hall of Fame and the Grammy Hall of Fame for his accomplishments.  His song, "You are My Sunshine," (you may have heard it) is the official State song of Louisiana and is #73 in CMT's 100 Greatest Songs in Country Music.  The singing Governor.  We've had some pretty colorful governors in our State!

Below is a picture of my Mom and Dad with Laura Lee prior to the LSU vs. Idaho football game in the lobby of Governor Davis' dorm.  Later on that night with binoculars, we spotted Laura in the student section during the game having a good time.  I have a great story about my uncle spotting my brother in the same student section, but 23 years earlier, and not having such a good time.  I'll have to tell you about it sometime.


Gameday attire
  I'll bid you farwell as we watch the Lawn Ranger ride off into the sunset.

Racing the sun to get the work done!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...