Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Proof That Taste Buds Change

When I was younger there's no way I would've eaten greens.  Mustard greens, Collard Greens, Kale, Swiss Chard?  Forget about it.  I think I tried them, but did not like them.  I don't know what happened.  At some point I got bit by the "gardening" bug and haven't found much in that garden that I won't eat.  Green, leafy stuff of all types are coming in right now by the bushels.  Here's a typical daily basket of the good stuff that Tricia harvested:

I had a serious hankering for some mustard greens over homemade cornbread.  Not just any cornbread, but cornbread made with buttermilk and Anaheim peppers.  First you have to cook down some chopped mustard greens.  At first it looks like the skillet isn't big enough.


But that changes quickly as it starts to cook down.  We add a little bacon and some onions as it cooks.

Notice something in the bottom of the skillet?  Pot liquor.  This is the liquid left over when cooking down greens.  Not only is it good, it's good for you.  Filled with Vitamin A and C and iron.  If you spoon some of that over the cornbread and let it soak it all up, well, that's some mighty fine eating right there.  Here's a plate of the good stuff:

This is a better picture as you can see the cornbread under the pile of mustard greens.

This is simple, yet delicious, country food.  I would have never eaten this as a kid, but now?  I look forward to it.  The whole skillet was wiped out in two sittings.  Time to go to the garden and fill another basket!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...