Thursday, October 11, 2012

Family trip to NOLA

So here is my final posting on our family trip to New Orleans for the weekend.  I snapped the photo below that shows a hibiscus in full bloom.  This was around a rooftop pool at the hotel where we stayed.  The kids had fun in the pool.  It was a nice getaway of family fun, relaxation, and enjoying the sights and great food.

Yellow hibiscus in bloom
My brother has a 'vintage' Suburban.  All the groomsmen were chauffeured from his house to Maison Montegut in the French Quarter for the wedding ceremony in this vehicle.  We only had to fill up with gas twice on the way to the ceremony.  (Okay, I'm exaggerating a bit.)  My brother's friend was the driver and as you can see below, he dressed the part, complete with a chauffeur cap and fur lined gloves.  
Driving Mrs. Daisy...er Mr. Kristian

Here you can see I've scrubbed myself clean and appear in a suit alongside my brother and my cousin from Dallas.  This is quite atypical from my normal attire I wear when I'm working around the farm.  Tricia accurately feels that my work clothes should all be thrown in the "rag" pile.

The 3 stooges?
And here is a nice picture of my 3 kids all slicked up for the occasion out on the courtyard where they served raw oysters on the half shell, shrimp and grits, chicken and sausage gumbo, and cochon de lait.  Cochon de lait means literally a suckling pig.  It is a whole roasted pig that is carved up and served with bread for making sandwiches.  You add a little creole mustard and wow, it's on!  Benjamin and I are reading Lord of the Flies right now so looking at the pig's head reminded me of that!  It was all so good, though! 
  
I am blessed to have great kids
  
Me and Laura Lee

Laura Lee and Tricia
And here is the Groom Cake, one you don't see at every wedding.  This cake was designed to mimic a sculpture that my brother saw at the Country Music Hall of Fame.  Hank Williams shot 3 squirrels and had a taxidermist stuff them like they were playing in a band.  The squirrels and everything on the cake was edible.  Not just anyone has edible squirrels playing instruments on their cake!
 
Some nutty musicians.
On the backside of the St. Louis Cathedral, there is a statue of Jesus that casts an impressive shadow on the wall.  I couldn't leave the area without getting this impressive picture:

Reminds me of this: Keep me as the apple of your eye; hide me in the shadow of your wings. Psalm 17:8

Jesus Saves!
The very next morning we had a nice Brunch at Ralph's on the Park.  It is located in City Park that is covered with Spanish moss draped centuries old live oaks.  It was a great setting with great food and great fellowship.  I don't know about you, but we don't always have white linen tablecloths during breakfast.  This was a treat!  Eggs Benedict, veal, french toast with pecan syrup, and biscuits.  I had to loosen my belt a notch. 

Russ looks like he's upset that we disturbed his meal!!
We'll let him get back to enjoying his Eggs Benedict.  You really shouldn't disturb a young man when he's eating.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...