A while back we lamented the fact that we lost 39 hens to mink. Those critters savagely slaughtered our egg layers. It was only after I killed some squirrels and baited the traps with their blood and guts that I was able to catch the male and female in the trap. They were summarily executed by firing squad. We haven't had an issue with mink since that day. I still drive around and see mink that have been killed while crossing the road. Perhaps I shouldn't, but every time I see a mink carcass on the road, I do a fist pump and break in to a grin. Mink are vicious killers and they get no sympathy from me.
This morning Tricia hollered, "Kyle, there's a mink on our back porch." I'm mostly deaf, so I had to confirm what I thought I heard. Yes, I heard her correctly. We do have wild creatures like possums and coons and armadillos that will venture near the house, but never mink. I ran to the gun shelf, pulled down the 12 gauge and loaded it with shells. I ran out to the back patio and sure enough, that rascal was between the french doors and the back of the fireplace.
I couldn't hardly shoot him there - I'd break the windows and splinter the wood. That little devil looked at me and bared his teeth. I bared mine back. Ginger, our cat, was around and I didn't want her in the crossfire. The mink made a break for it around the back side of the house, but I had a bead on that beady-eyed creature. BOOM! Or you might say, "Pop, goes the weasel."
Look at the teeth on this varmint! He can tear some chicken up. I quickly ran back to the pasture and around the henhouse to see if he had killed any of our chickens, but I found no dead or injured birds. I put my foot in the photo below for perspective, so that you can see the size of this animal.
What would cause him to come up to the house? Was he sick? Rabid? Did he just have a death wish? We'll never know, but I'm happy Tricia happened to see him and called me so that I could take care of business. That's one less mink to kill our chickens.
The Indians, I read in history, helped the pilgrims by teaching them to bury a fish underneath corn seeds to provide slow release fertilizer. I grabbed a shovel and buried the mink in the garden, sort of next to the goat. We'll see if mink works as good as fish as a garden fertilizer.
No comments:
Post a Comment