Without rain in a while, I noticed the garden is struggling. The sweet potatoes, peppers and eggplant look like they are about to wave the white flag. I relented and turned the sprinkler on and just let it run for a couple of hours. You could see a noticeable improvement in the crops as the slow soaking mist got down to the roots. The sprinkler is in the very center of the photo below:
But it's not just the garden that is affected by the heat and the long, humid summer days. The animals feel it, especially LuLu as she's in milk. She sits in the shade with her tongue out, panting. We'll go out and spray her off with the water hose to give her respite from the heat. She really likes that.
Cows, to be quite honest, aren't the smartest of barnyard animals. They'll look and look at a gate and can't quite figure how to go through it and have to be eventually led. Low IQ moo for sure. But I'll give LuLu credit when credit is due. She saw the sprinkler on and figured out that there was a westerly breeze blowing and positioned herself on the east side of the garden where she could enjoy the cooling spray.
Not much of a chance of rain in the 10 day forecast, with highs in the upper 90's. I guess I'll be turning the water sprinkler on to cool down Ol' LuLu for the next week or so.
No comments:
Post a Comment