Tuesday, July 14, 2020

That'll Do

Matthew 6:19-20 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
19 Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal;"

Looking around the homestead (and looking in the mirror, for that matter) brings to the forefront of my mind that things are moving from order to disorder, from death to life, from newness to decrepit and desiccated.

Things break and need fixing.  Sometimes we go to the hardware store or feed store and buy new parts to repair and restore the old and worn out.  Other times, we take a position of "That'll do."  Do you ever do that?  There is nothing that can't be fixed with tie wire or a roll of duct tape.

Here's an example or two:  A few weeks ago, we reported that a big Chinaberry tree fell across the fence in a storm, ripping the fencing from the 4 x 4 post.  I cut up and removed the tree.  I needed to fix the fence.  I could have gotten the come-along (fence stretcher), a hammer and some staples and done a fine job of mending the fence.  Other priorities pulled and I opted to get some tie wire and quickly fasten the fencing to the post.  "That'll do."  I'll get around to fixing it right one day.

Tie wire holding things together


As the Gospel of Matthew tells us, rust destroys!  It is doing its best to destroy our old 1978 model cattle trailer.  It was my grandpa's and I want to not allow it to get in a state of disrepair.  This weekend I began the arduous task of fixing it.  I could bring it to a welder and have new sheet metal installed, but I opted to pressure wash, sand, coat with Ospho and patch it myself.  For the larger rusted out holes I used fiberglass patches coated in a resin/hardener concoction. 


Large rust holes patched up
For the smaller holes, I used Bondo.  It is a putty-like substance that you add a hardener to and spread over small rust holes and fissures.  I'll later sand and prime and paint.  It'll look good as new.  Yes, "that'll do."

Putting some lipstick on the pig
And moths...  In this case termites.  We discovered termites in our barn!  The other day in the feed room, I stepped right through the floor.  Termites had eaten through the 2 x 12 flooring!  I'll post later about this in more detail later.  Professional treatment of termites can be very expensive.  I purchased some termite insecticide at the hardware store and am in the process of eradicated the problem.  I've killed a bunch of them.  I'm hoping to be able to say, "That'll do."  Still too early in the battle to tell.

Termites be gone!
We're a simple country couple on a simple homestead trying to do the best we can on a shoestring budget.  We're learning as we go - usually from our mistakes.  But we're happy and continually try to be content with what the Good Lord has given us.  And as I think about it, "That'll (More than) Do."
"When you arise in the morning give thanks for the morning light. Give thanks for your life and strength. Give thanks for your food. And give thanks for the joy of living. And if perchance you see no reason to give thanks. Rest assured the fault is yours." - Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...